Album Review #3


So I've always thought this girl group were talented, however over the years they caught my eye for how they stand together showcasing that they are all different and still all as beautiful as each other. How they've made a stand against bullying and encouraging young girls to be them and live how they want to, not to worry about their appearance and that its okay to be them is also a massive reason behind me liking and respecting the girls in this band. Well this time they've caught my eye (and my ears) with their latest album!


After being the first ever group to win the X-Factor, I expected these girls to fade into the background of the music world. And boy was I wrong!! They've now got; 4 albums, 15 awards and 4 number one singles! So who is this group?? It's only Little Mix, like you didn't already guess!

So Little Mix have released the album Glory Day which features the very well known and recognised Shout out to My Ex. Now this album is something else! Across the album a multitude of genres being crossed; from dance to pop to a Hiphop vibe and even an old school traditional pop/swing vibe! The way these different vibes and genres are incorporated and mixed together to create an album is incredible! So congratulations Little Mix and the production team on that one! But as well as this genre mix, you'll notice that the big discussion points throughout the album are; independence, love and heartbreak. So not only is it a multi genre album filled with emotions and empowerment but it also oozes sassiness! The album also showcases each individual vocal talent the ladies hold, and this is done by not only showing that they can harmonise with each other, but that they can each over power one another effortlessly.

Now in regards to the songs, I do have a few favourites! So naturally have picked my top 3 and below I've explained why they are; 
  1. FU - This song has an old school vibe to it but is mixed with some electronic features as well as sassy lyrics. Its title itself explains the exact extent of sass it holds, however the lyrics themselves are quite funny. Lets not lie here, woman are tarnished with the psycho brush and this song just plays on that perfectly with lyrics such as "take my key to your benz". Now why I like this song so much is because it reaches out to the part of a relationship where you both really hate each other and are driving each other mental, but you just cant stay away from each other. Its that toxic relationship that many of us have or will encounter in our lives. But its discussed in such a soft musical way that its not a power ballard and its not a dissing match song either. And with how the song sounds old school but has lyrics that include modern day terminology, just appeal to me! Its different and its refreshing, but its also real.
  2. Down & Dirty - This song just oozes dance hit! It also pushes the boundary of the label they've been given due to having a large younger fan base. This song its age appropriate yet brushes over the fact they are woman and not teenagers. Its clever as it never mentions the things its referring to. Im also not going to lie, but the GoT reference is also a killer move! Who doesn't love GoT right?! This is a song I can see being blasted loud during the summer period and maybe even be a killer club song! Its repetitive beat will definitely get stuck in your head and make those feet move!
  3. Touch (Acoustic) - Now love the original version of this however, the acoustic one has made it in my top three purely for the vocal talent. The song itself in both versions is a great song, with beautiful lyrics that you cant help but sing along to. The original is also a floor number! I cant sit/stand still when its on, I just feel like dancing. However, acoustically you will fall in love with the voices of Little Mix. The acoustic version has been slowed right down, has soft piano keys and very strong powerful lyrics. You hear each individual woman sing their section so beautifully and then when they come together it is just simply mesmerising. High harmonies to perfectly pair the strong bearing solo voice during the chorus. Its just such a beautiful piece of music and I could honestly listen to it over and over. Goosebumps.

So if you haven't already, it is definitely worth giving this album a listen to. You will be shocked! Its definitely something I never thought id enjoy and well I'm not ashamed to say I do!

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my post filled with my opinions and thoughts. I honestly means more than you could imagine!

If you'd like to leave any feedback or comments, please do so in the comments box below. You can also tweet me through the blog twitter page @shtsngigsblog where you can see updates on the blog, teasers on posts and also what music I am listening to, or even send me requests or music you think I should listen to! Did I mention theres now a Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/shtsngigs

Thank you,

Leanne xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost Town & Palisades - O2 Academy Birmingham - 21.10.15

Guest Post #2 "Don't tell me you're okay..."

Adventuring Through Music...